Hello and welcome back to my weekly posts of Mexico travel tips and tricks. All summer long I share some tips I’ve learned from traveling there many times over the last 12 years! This week I want to cover activities and fun things to do while on vacation!
There are so many things to do while in Mexico. Laine and I have done many of these things and sometimes choose to stay on the resort and relax. But, if we do venture out, I wanted to share some of our favorite activities.
Shopping in Mexico
- On most visits, Laine and I take a cab into town for some shopping and eating. We always take a cab from the hotel. It’s not cheap depending on where your resort is located. Usually around $20 each way but you can sometimes find another couple wanting to go to town willing to split the cost.
- We’ve shopped in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Puerto Vallarta. Each town has something different to offer. I buy my gifts and souvenirs in town and usually a new piece of jewelry. Plus it’s great to sample the local cuisine!
Tours and Parks
- Some of the tours we taken are 4 wheeler tours in Puerto Vallarta into the mountains to visit the Agave tequila factory. They had 99 flavors of tequila.
- You can take boat tours that go to different islands and take you out to even clearer waters. We’ve seen so much aquatic wildlife while on the boats.
- Another great place to visit is Tulum. The last city inhabited by the Maya. It’s beautiful and historic and a must when visiting Playa Del Carmen. Chichen Itza and Ek Balam are a few other greats to visit.
- You can take a Ferry ride over to Cozumel and visit the island. We have stayed here as well and I recommend renting a Jeep and driving to the back side of the island. There is no electricity and the waves are beautiful. They have a few Tiki Bars on the coast and these are so fun to stop and visit.
- Xel Ha is an amazing park that offers tubing, cliff diving, snorkeling, zip lining and so much more. It’s beautiful and all activities are included in your ticket.
- Xcaret, Xplore and Jungle Maya are also great parks. Each one has something different to offer but diving in the cenotes is a must if you visit!
- Additional fun activities are parasailing, dolphin swimming, deep sea fishing, glass bottom boats and so much more!
- One of the reasons we book all inclusive is that there are many activities on the resort! You can rent jet skis, small boats, snorkel gear and other fun water toys.
- Some resorts have scuba classes for free. I’ve also been known to go down to the main pool where they offer pottery painting!
- Many resorts offer horse back riding on the beach. This is so much fun and I highly recommend it.
- Laine and I always visit the resort spa while on vacation. They sometimes offer what’s called a “sky cabin” massage. These take place on 2 story open buildings right on the beach where you can hear the waves roll in. WARNING: you may want to opt for this on your first day. If you get a sunburn these may not be as relaxing.
Some Things to Consider
- Many of the activities and tours listed above are all day tours. So, this means that you will be away from the resort that you paid a higher price for if you opted for an all inclusive. So, if you plan on taking many day tours while visiting, you might be better off opting for resorts that cost less. Laine and I have stayed at some resorts that were only 3 star rating to save our money and we just took tours every day and ate in town!
- There are so many options when it comes to booking your vacation and it all depends on what your plans are while there.
- Side Note: Many resorts will offer freebies if you’re willing to tour some of their time share properties. They say it will take less than an hour or sometimes 2, but many I have talked to said this isn’t really the case. However, it’s a great way to visit other resorts and see what all they have to offer and sometimes the freebies are worth your time!
I know there are things I am probably leaving out but from this list alone, aren’t you ready for a visit? I know I am so ready to go back!
Thanks so much for stopping by today! What are some of your favorite things to do while on vacation?